Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

Is it ok to delete / comment out Options -ExecCGI ?

Is it ok to comment out Options -ExecCGI
in htaccess file in the folder of "files"?

Or should we rather find out why the server won't accept this line? It is giving an exact error that the line is accepted in the server.

View article...

Comments

• I would speculate to say the line is in there in case you are running other web apps out of the same folder as Exponent (in most cases the root web folder). If you are not running any other apps (mail list, etc...) out of /cgi-bin you should be able to get by without it.

View article...
  • There will be actually 3 Exponents (all of them their own installations, for 3 different languages)

View article...
  • Exponent does NOT use any cgi-bin scripts/apps. The .htaccess applies to the folder it resides in plus any subfolders (recursive) which do not contain a .htaccess with instructions to the contrary...therefore if you do not use the /cgi-bin folder (usually this is actually a link to a folder OUTSIDE of the web server folder which has scripts like perl, bin, shell, etc...) which can be run as web programs. So if the web server is not running any of these programs, you should be ok to comment it out/remove it.

In my specific instances, I am running a mailing list program (and some other cron type scripts) which resides inside of /cgi-bin

View article...
  • I wonder if I can find all the .htaccess files that has these since we still have issue of editing news items (the re-direction after clicking SAVE goes to an error page and nothing gets saved).

The server answered regarding this:
    "Due to technical and/or security reasons a few directives are not allowed to be overriden via .htaccess. Such directives are, for example: Options, ExecCGI, FollowSymLinks, Includes."

View article...
  • Ok, they are pretty strict...but, there is a .htaccess files in these folders
    /
    /files
    /files/avatars
    /files/uploads
    /tmp/cache
    /tmp/css
    /tmp/extensionuploads
    /tmp/img_cache
    /tmp/minify
    /tmp/pixidou
    /tmp/rsscache
    /tmp/views_c

Most likely it is the /tmp/views_c or /tmp/img_cache, but could also be /tmp/css or /tmp/minify

View article...
  • I commented out all lines of "Options -ExecCGI"
    in of the above folders but it doesn't help for the issue of the news module.

What ever editing I make, it doesn't save the news module item content at all. I actually thought it would since there were no errors anymore after .htaccess changes and I was going through lot of items changing an image path in them and then I realized they are all back to the previous version. Then I made a test to just to add one letter in the text and save and indeed it was not saved either.

In the text module I can save text without any issue.

View article...
  • Do you have 'Files' (attachments) activated in the news module and not in the text module? Have you tried it with one of the shipped themes? (I'm kinda 'grasping at straws' as to what the issue might be)

View article...
  • So, first of all this news module worked in our own server (development server) but not in the production server now (customer's server), thus I was wondering if it due to the server issues.

We are using FILES (attachments) and also the item content has content images, so both ways, in the news module.

True, I didn't find any text module that would have the file attachments in usage indeed.

View article...
  • So, first of all this news module worked in our own server (development server) but not in the production server now (customer's server), thus I was wondering if it due to the server issues.

We are using FILES (attachments) and also the item content has content images, so both ways, in the news module.

True, I didn't find any text module that would have the file attachments in usage indeed.
  • Do you have 'Files' (attachments) activated in the news module and not in the text module? Have you tried it with one of the shipped themes? (I'm kinda 'grasping at straws' as to what the issue might be)

What ever editing I make, it doesn't save the news module item content at all. I actually thought it would since there were no errors anymore after .htaccess changes and I was going through lot of items changing an image path in them and then I realized they are all back to the previous version. Then I made a test to just to add one letter in the text and save and indeed it was not saved either.

/
    /files
    /files/avatars
    /files/uploads
    /tmp/cache
    /tmp/css
    /tmp/extensionuploads
    /tmp/img_cache
    /tmp/minify
    /tmp/pixidou
    /tmp/rsscache
    /tmp/views_c

Most likely it is the /tmp/views_c or /tmp/img_cache, but could also be /tmp/css or /tmp/minify
  • I wonder if I can find all the .htaccess files that has these since we still have issue of editing news items (the re-direction after clicking SAVE goes to an error page and nothing gets saved).

"Due to technical and/or security reasons a few directives are not allowed to be overriden via .htaccess. Such directives are, for example: Options, ExecCGI, FollowSymLinks, Includes."
  • Exponent does NOT use any cgi-bin scripts/apps. The .htaccess applies to the folder it resides in plus any subfolders (recursive) which do not contain a .htaccess with instructions to the contrary...therefore if you do not use the /cgi-bin folder (usually this is actually a link to a folder OUTSIDE of the web server folder which has scripts like perl, bin, shell, etc...) which can be run as web programs. So if the web server is not running any of these programs, you should be ok to comment it out/remove it.

In my specific instances, I am running a mailing list program (and some other cron type scripts) which resides inside of /cgi-bin
  • There will be actually 3 Exponents (all of them their own installations, for 3 different languages)
  • I would speculate to say the line is in there in case you are running other web apps out of the same folder as Exponent (in most cases the root web folder). If you are not running any other apps (mail list, etc...) out of /cgi-bin you should be able to get by without it.

/
    /files
    /files/avatars
    /files/uploads
    /tmp/cache
    /tmp/css
    /tmp/extensionuploads
    /tmp/img_cache
    /tmp/minify
    /tmp/pixidou
    /tmp/rsscache
    /tmp/views_c

/
    /files
    /files/avatars
    /files/uploads
    /tmp/cache
    /tmp/css
    /tmp/extensionuploads
    /tmp/img_cache
    /tmp/minify
    /tmp/pixidou
    /tmp/rsscache
    /tmp/views_c