Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

Unable to edit anything after installing

Hello! I've been trying to get Exponent working for a friend of mine and am having issues. I'm eventually going to have to do a migration from .98 to 2.3. Before I clear out my friends .98 installation I wanted to test 2.3 first by installing it on a private server. I've manage to, I think, successfully install 2.3 on this server, but I am unable to find any modules to change when I go to www.mysite.com/login.php.

After looking through some trouble shooting tips on the documentation website I've encountered nothing that fixes my problem. Any assistance would be helpful, as I've been banging my head against this for two days now. Thanks!

View article...

Comments

• I'm sorry you're having difficulties. Have you taken a look at the help items on the http://docs.exponentcms.org/getting-started page? It's unclear where you're having problems.
    - Did you include any of the sample databases during installation? If not, your initial site will only have a single page with no modules activated nor installed.
    - Are you able to log on as the super-admin user created during the installation? If so, you should see the Exponent menu (slingbar) at the top of the page. This is how you interact with the administrative functions.
    - Do you see the 'Add Module' button on the page? What happens when you click it? If you need additional module types, click on the 'Manage Active Modules' link to bring up the list of all available (active and inactive) modules (types)
    - What operating system/web server is the private server?

View article...
  • Thanks for the response dleffler. I've looked over the getting started page and as far as I can tell this isn't covered there.
    -Yes, I have used the sample databases and layouts. The current sample database I'm using is "Sample Blog" or something like that, with the "Simple layout" layout. Potentially interesting note: The Twitter based Layouts seem to fail completely, producing a single button with what appears to be phpcode as its text.
    -I have logged in as the super user, though I did use the username admin, could this be an issue? I've also not seen any bar at the top of the page, only a "view panel" section on the right hand side.
    -No 'Add Module' Button is visible.
    -A debian accessed through cpanel.

View article...
  • Ok, you probably should install patch#3 to v2.3.0...though it's not the cause of your main issue, it corrects several things such as the text for the toggle menu button.

Essentially, it sounds like the page 'crashes' before it fully builds...

You might first try a couple things, these require manually editing the /framework/conf/config.php file
    - On the line that has DEVELOPMENT, change the 0 to a 1 to turn on error reporting which will give you a better indication of the issue
    - On the line that has DISPLAY_THEME_REAL change the entry (bootstraptheme or bootstrap3theme) to simpletheme.

View article...
  • Hey dleffler, Heres the error report, sorry for the delay in getting it to you.

Warning: session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f0f8fbeade73625d49b6f35732b62a13, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosnaweb03b/b1362/sl.thesage/christine/framework/core/subsystems/expSession.php on line 131

And then there is a second one at the bottom:

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_f0f8fbeade73625d49b6f35732b62a13, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

View article...
  • Thanks, it appears your server doesn't have php set up correctly. It is unable to write it's sessions files onto the server. Exponent requires php 'sessions' to work. Though the call is coming from within Exponent, most php programs requires sessions to keep track of variables/date between pages (and keep track of the current user within the session, etc...)

View article...