Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

"Above/Below the fold" for news posts

What version of Exponent are you using? (v2.2.2 is the most recent)

You may insert a 'break' (shift-enter) into the text which will be included in the first para/div.

The 3 display options are full (the entire article), none (no article), and summary (which uses the smarty 'summarize' function/plugin). The function/plugin simply looks for the first para/break to split out the summary text.

Through v2.2.1 we simply did a 'text' summary to the first para/div and include the links. Then for v2.2.2+ we switched to a html summary so the images and formatting within that first section would be displayed.

Statistics: Posted by dleffler

Comments

• I'm running 2.2.2. I think my problem is that the WYSIWYG editor tends to put most things into < p >'s (including IMGs) and the 'summarize' fn is kind of simplistic in how it returns the 1st p/div. Ideally I'd like to insert a manual break into a post (the simplest option would be a page break, since the editor already supports this) and have the summary view split on that.

As it stands now, the best option I've found is to replace any < p >'s with a single paragraph with < BR />'s to separate them.

Not ideal, but the alternative seems to be to hack summarize()...

Statistics: Posted by kmitchell
  • FWIW, the editor page break simply inserts a

Code:

which is a printer page break.

You can create your own custom 'summarize' modifier by copying the /framework/plugins/modifier.summarize.php file into /themes/yourtheme/plugins/modifier.summarize.php

SO....if you add another switch/case element (like 'parapage') looking which breaks at any match to the above, you'd probably have your fix. In fact, that might not be a bad addition, but will require some bug chasing to see if it always is placed on it's own and not between div's.

• This is an EXCELLENT idea, and is now included in the pre-release code for v2.2.3!

My suggestion to create a custom plugin will NOT work since we've moved the 'summarize' method to the expString subsystem and you cannot create a theme custom subsystem.

• This is an EXCELLENT idea, and is now included in the pre-release code for v2.2.3!

My suggestion to create a custom plugin will NOT work since we've moved the 'summarize' method to the expString subsystem and you cannot create a theme custom subsystem.

• FWIW, the editor page break simply inserts a

Code:

which is a printer page break.

You can create your own custom 'summarize' modifier by copying the /framework/plugins/modifier.summarize.php file into /themes/yourtheme/plugins/modifier.summarize.php

SO....if you add another switch/case element (like 'parapage') looking which breaks at any match to the above, you'd probably have your fix. In fact, that might not be a bad addition, but will require some bug chasing to see if it always is placed on it's own and not between div's.

• I'm running 2.2.2. I think my problem is that the WYSIWYG editor tends to put most things into < p >'s (including IMGs) and the 'summarize' fn is kind of simplistic in how it returns the 1st p/div. Ideally I'd like to insert a manual break into a post (the simplest option would be a page break, since the editor already supports this) and have the summary view split on that.

As it stands now, the best option I've found is to replace any < p >'s with a single paragraph with < BR />'s to separate them.

Not ideal, but the alternative seems to be to hack summarize()...

Statistics: Posted by kmitchell
  • What version of Exponent are you using? (v2.2.2 is the most recent)

You may insert a 'break' (shift-enter) into the text which will be included in the first para/div.

The 3 display options are full (the entire article), none (no article), and summary (which uses the smarty 'summarize' function/plugin). The function/plugin simply looks for the first para/break to split out the summary text.

Through v2.2.1 we simply did a 'text' summary to the first para/div and include the links. Then for v2.2.2+ we switched to a html summary so the images and formatting within that first section would be displayed.

• Just looking at 2.3.0 Looks really nice and the "parapaged" feature is exactly what I was hoping for. I think there's a small bug tho...

In framework/core/subsystems/expString.php:293 the split is on:

div style="page-break-after: always;" span style="display: none;" /span /div

but the WYSIWYG editor produces the following:

div style="page-break-after: always" span style="display: none;" /span /div

(no semicolon after 'always')

so the match fails.

View article...
  • Thanks! Looks like CKEditor changed the string they insert. I'll try to change the code to handle both options and have it in 2.3.0patch2 due out this Friday.

View article...