Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

Importing news module content to another installation

Hmmm, we have quite a few news items, so if I create all those to the new language with fake titles, export it and replace with titles, body content and dates that I take from the first language export and in the end I import the edited news module table back to the new language installation.

View article...

Comments

• I'm sorry, but there is no easy way to do this. The .eql file is a serialized (array/object in a single string) dump of each record preceded by the word 'RECORD:', but we'd need a script to convert it into something useful...though you could probably copy/paste it from an external text editor into the 'Source' view of a new News item.

View article...
  • Exactly, you understood correctly. :)

View article...
  • It's difficult to import content apart from the bulk of the database, since it's referenced by the container object (the module on the page) and might also have attached/associated objects.

If I understand you correctly, you have already imported everything from site #1 into site #2 EXCEPT the news table? Now you want to take the news table content and import it into site #2 AFTER it is translated?

View article...
  • Hi,
    what things I need to consider when importing the news module content from another installation of Exponent (the same and newest version of it) to another one? I can't import everything because all the other content has been already imported once and after that edited in the second installation and the news module content was missing at that time. Now we got that visible in the first installation and need to transfer it to the second one.

Practically the first is in another language than the second and thus I can't just take a database dump from the first and load it to the second with different language.

View article...
  • Sorry, it's not that simple. We can NOT export/import individual modules/items due to the number of records linked across several database tables (though I have opened a ticket and may work on something in the next few weeks).

Here's an example news item line from an .eql file (though the html markup is getting swalled by the browser)

RECORD:O:8:"stdClass":17:{s:2:"id";s:1:"1";s:5:"title";s:18:"My first news post";s:7:"sef_url";s:18:"my-first-news-post";s:9:"canonical";s:0:"";s:10:"meta_title";s:0:"";s:13:"meta_keywords";s:0:"";s:16:"meta_description";s:0:"";s:4:"body";s:1155:"A lot of default content on the net uses Latin text, we have chosen to also use English gobbledygook . This news post is not displayed in the sidebar, because it is not 'featured.'\r\nWorks does genuine, zesty lifetime brings elegent. Successful original adore simulated shopping feel humongous sensational. Very, bigger ocean sparkling colossal improved, introducing, perfect fat-free.\r\nGoodness senses aromatic crystals wherever full-bodied is admire snappy, can. Are compact like now chunky handling all-over removable sale asked flavored spacious yet $19.95 yummy. Premium out you duty advantage compact, magically settle.\r\nBuy think will also, be magically grab. Believe surrender best, easily provocative refreshing. Listen quenches kids coming brighter handcrafted way generous stimulates, golden, revolutionary zippy tasty.\r\nTake sale, credit-card industry outlasts senses splash most happy devour families flexible flavored ultimate, seasoned. Powerful, triple, triple care when not fights reduced. Does parents and, available moist incredible hurry.\r\n";s:6:"poster";s:1:"1";s:10:"created_at";s:10:"1234441800";s:6:"editor";s:1:"1";s:9:"edited_at";s:10:"1328920952";s:7:"publish";s:10:"1234355400";s:9:"unpublish";s:1:"0";s:13:"location_data";s:95:"O:8:"stdClass":3:{s:3:"mod";s:4:"news";s:3:"src";s:20:"@random48e79c9faf65a";s:3:"int";s:0:"";}";s:11:"is_featured";s:1:"0";s:4:"rank";s:1:"1";}

If you scan this item you'll notice the s:5:"title"; (the title entry) is followed by s:18:"My first news post" (which is the 18 character title for the news item), then a little further in, you notice the s:4:"body"; is followed by the s:1155:"

A lot..."; entry which is the 1155 character source body text for that news item.

Basically what I was suggesting is you could open the .eql file in a text editor and then copy the title entry into a newly created news item and then switch the exponent wysiwyg editor to 'Source' mode and copy/paste the body entry.

View article...