Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

What is the best way to upgrade from 0.98 to the newest?

Hi,
What is the best way to upgrade from 0.98 to the newest version? I do not mind to make steps since it may be safer module-wise to upgrade to some early 2.x first and only then to the newest one.

The problem is that we have a database backup of 0.98 of a crashed server (it was hacked elsewhere, not in the Exp files) and we have all the files of Exponent but we don't have a working installation of 0.98 anywhere at the moment. I tried to install it to a test server just as it was before the server crashed but it seems that the php is newer and creates extra issues.

The site has very complicated structure, lot of content, so it is practically impossible to try to take the content and understand where all was by copy pasting from the sql backup file (almost 8000 rows).

I would be happy to get tips how to continue the rescue operation.

Statistics: Posted by generare

Comments

• After testing few different Exp installation packages I got the things rolling with the version 2.1.3.
    So, we will fine-tune all for the layout and other things that needs changes and then we will upgrade for the newest one. Quite smooth the migration process (had two times Internal Server errors but going BACK and doing again solved it).

Other modules went through ok but few photo galleries are kind of lost somewhere
  • It may be possible the .98 photo galleries were using a custom module instead of the standard imagegallerymodule (svgallerymodule, etc... are not supported in migration). It is highly likely the images themselves are available in the File Manager.

Sometimes due to the corrupted nature of older databases, it's not easy to migrate data. The nice thing about migration is the old database only has to be operational (loaded into a running MySQL server)...the old site does NOT have to be operational. FWIW, the old 0.98 and 0.99beta1 code is still available to 'load' the old data and work with locally or in a test environment.

I'm surprised to hear that 2.1.3 worked best, as 2.1.4 had only minor changes to 2.1.3...moving to version 2.2.0+ we moved to converting the old data to the new 2.0 containers.

Have you tried looking in the recycle bin for any photo albums?

Statistics: Posted by dleffler
  • Hi,
    What is the best way to upgrade from 0.98 to the newest version? I do not mind to make steps since it may be safer module-wise to upgrade to some early 2.x first and only then to the newest one.

The problem is that we have a database backup of 0.98 of a crashed server (it was hacked elsewhere, not in the Exp files) and we have all the files of Exponent but we don't have a working installation of 0.98 anywhere at the moment. I tried to install it to a test server just as it was before the server crashed but it seems that the php is newer and creates extra issues.

The site has very complicated structure, lot of content, so it is practically impossible to try to take the content and understand where all was by copy pasting from the sql backup file (almost 8000 rows).

View article...
  • Hi,

View article...
  • Hi,

View article...
  • Hi,

View article...
  • Hi,

View article...