Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

Creating Shipping Labels

I read on the docs site that Exponent doesn't automate the process of obtaining shipping labels. So how do you handle the creation of the shipping label?

View article...

Comments

• Maybe someone else will pipe in...I do not do any shipping, but I assume you are asking about a paid label used by a shipping service (UPS, FedEX, etc...) not just a simple address mailing label?

However, I'm vaguely aware you (ecommerce business owner/operator) can create an account with UPS or FedEx and they allow for creating shipping labels online (or with software you can download for your PC). It's my understanding that you'd (the business owner/operator) manually copy/paste the addresses and other data (package size, weight, etc...) and then already having a payment method set up with them. When you generate the label, you could also request a pickup at your location.

I took a quick look at some other ecommerce packages and that sort of integrated support is NOT free and usually involves a subscription to use.

Here's a link to EasyPost https://www.easypost.com/getting-started <https://www.easypost.com/getting-started
  • To be honest this project is the deepest I've been involved with e-Commerce. Is there a way to export sales info from Exponent via CSV files, if so, UPS offers the ability to create the labels by using CSV.

View article...
  • No we do not currently have a feature to export address data from existing orders. What is a url for information about UPS label CSV import? Is it called 'Batch File Shipping'? If so, it's a pretty complex file which would need much of the data manually entered. http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/create/shipping/create/batch_file.html <http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/create/shipping/create/batch_file.html
  • After spending some time this morning looking at EasyPost, I like what I see. The stumbling block for me is HOW to integrate it with Exponent? I am willing to pay for the integration.

View article...
  • For me the better solution is EasyPost. Don't worry about exporting the shipping address. The site I'm working on isn't ready for go-live anyway.

EDIT: I created an account with EasyPost. I think the integration with Exponent needs to include some way to account for the 5 cent charge (call it a handling fee) the Exponent site admin is charged by EasyPost. The rates they use to create the label don't account for it.

View article...
  • I'll try to get at least a shipping address export into the code in the next few days to make it into v234patch1. It doesn't look difficult to get easypost integrated. Just trying to work out an interface, or how to use it within Exponent. Most likely it would become a new shipping calculator (to used in place of UPS or FedEx) and it would provide additional features on the 'shipping' tab of the invoice (purchase shipment, print shipping label, and would automate the shipping details such as tracking, etc...)

View article...
  • Based on some local coding progress I fully expect to have a limited function 'easypost' shipping calculator included in the next patch/release. It will appear to be fully functional compared to the other shipping calculators (gets estimated shipping costs for the shopping cart include a handling charge per package which defaults to 5 cents), but will NOT include any new features such as the actual purchase of shipping labels, auto-adding tracking number & est delivery date, scheduling pickup, etc... Those features will have to wait until the following patch/release. I have to come up with some sort of UI to handle entry/management of individual boxes/packages, etc...

The limited function calculator will be restricted to USPS, FedEx, & UPS...provided you have added FedEx & UPS accounts to your easypost account (USPS is automatically included). It wouldn't be too much trouble to eventually add other carriers (easypost provides quite a few). And also to filter out which carriers and shipping options to provide (not provide) like we do with the UPS & FedEx calculators now.

View article...