Please disregard the 'View article...' shown at the bottom of many posts as this is the result of restoring old forum posts from a backup.

Changing themes crashed site

I want to experiment with bootstrap3 so I changed it in framework/conf/config.php like this define("DISPLAY_THEME_REAL",'bootstrap3theme');

Now my site is blank! I tried changing to simpletheme but that didn't work either, also coolwatertheme also gave a blank page. What the heck did I do???

View article...

Comments

• Not the best way to change themes since the currently viewed theme (preview) is stored as a session variable. You might try deleting all the files in /tmp/views_c/, you might try turning error reporting/DEVELOPMENT on in the /framework/conf/config.php file to see what error is being kicked out.

What version/patch level are you using?

View article...
  • Its 2.3.0 patch 4. I have error reporting turned on, and have deleted all the files in /tmp/views_c/. I still get a blank page.

View article...
  • odd, try typing a url into the browser like mysite.log/reset.php which should do a clear all caches

View article...
  • reset.php is blank as well.

View article...
  • I don't know what was different but when I retyped that line, things are working now. Now I just have to adjust the theme for using bootstrap3.

View article...
  • Please check your /framework/conf/config.php file, esp. near the line you edited to ensure it is identical to the line above/below in regards to quotes, commas & semi-colons. The line should look like this:

define("DISPLAY_THEME_REAL",'bootstrap3theme');

View article...
  • Again, just a recommendation that you change themes using the Super-admin Tools - Extensions - Mange Themes page

View article...
  • I will definitely do that from now on!

Now that the site is displaying I get this error message:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Less_Exception_Compiler' with message 'variable @menu_width is undefined in file /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/framework/modules/navigation/assets/less/dropdown-bootstrap.less' in /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Variable.php:49 Stack trace: #0 /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Expression.php(42): Less_Tree_Variable->compile(Object(Less_Environment)) #1 /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Value.php(27): Less_Tree_Expression->compile(Object(Less_Environment)) #2 /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Rule.php(75): Less_Tree_Value->compile(Object(Less_Environment)) #3 /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Paren.php(32): Less_Tree_Rule->compile(Object(Less_Environment)) #4 /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Expression.php(42): Less_Tree_Paren->compile(Object(Less_Environment)) #5 /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Value.php(27): Less_Tree_Expression->compile( in /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/external/less.php/lib/Less/Tree/Variable.php on line 49

I think I need a lesson in LESS.

View article...
  • I tried converting my existing theme to use bootstrap3. My theme is just coolwater with a few color changes.

What I did was add "framework=>"bootstrap3", to expHead. In addition I made sure that I wasn't using YUI navigation, instead of YUI Top Nav, I'm using megamenu.

View article...
  • .less is simply a higher level way to build .css files and can reduce some of the coding while at the same time better suiting multiple browsers. See this article. http://www.exponentcms.org/blog/more-about-less

Is this the stock bootstraptheme or have you tried to customize it? There are some specific .less variables set at the top of each theme/subtheme template which in turn rely on an accurate theme config.php theme settings file.

In the next version of Exp (we'll skip 2.3.0patch5 and go to 2.3.1) we no longer crash on .less compiler errors.

View article...
  • You'll need to update the expTheme::head() config array! Take a look at these two blog articles I've written about Bootstrap3 themes http://www.exponentcms.org/blog/themeing-with-twitter-bootstrap-version-3 & http://www.exponentcms.org/blog/theming-with-twitter-bootstrap-version-3-part-2

View article...
  • I feel very stupid now! I read those two articles and didn't see the part about swatch.

View article...
  • I tried converting my existing theme to use bootstrap3. My theme is just coolwater with a few color changes.

What I did was add "framework=>"bootstrap3", to expTheme::head(). In addition I made sure that I wasn't using YUI navigation, instead of YUI Top Nav, I'm using megamenu.

View article...
  • I was too quick to celebrate..

If my expTheme::head looks like this:

expTheme::head(array(
    "xhtml"=>false,
    "framework"=>"bootstrap3",
    "css_core"=>array("common"),
    "css_links"=>true,
    "css_theme"=>true) );

I don't need the line define("NEWUI",'1'); in /framework/conf/config.php, do I?

If I don't have that defined, then I get this error:
    Fatal error: Cannot redeclare smarty_block_permissions() (previously declared in /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/framework/plugins/newui/block.permissions.php:39) in /home/bjk03/bjkline.biz/framework/plugins/block.permissions.php on line 53

As long as that line is in /framework/conf/config.php the site works as intended.

View article...
  • EDIT: I was able to figure it out.

View article...
  • This post is very informative. I also experience the same issue with BJKline however on a different theme, and I also figured it out.

View article...