The place to discuss all things related to the Exponent Content Management System

v2.1.0 has been released

edited January 2013 in Announcements
On November 23, 2012, Exponent version 2.1.0 was released. This includes a major upgrade to the calendar module in the form of the new Events controller and a new 'Mega' menu navigation view which also adds a new 'free-form' menu item type allowing the admin to embed other modules.

Other things to look for in v2.1.0 are:
- adds optional nested comments, and optional per-item comment disabling
- adds optional comments to filedownload module items
- adds optional external file url for file download item
- removes extra themes to reduce size of package, available as separate addon downloads
- adds version change information to initial upgrade page
- adds optional color/style to categories
- upgrades calendar to a 2.0 event controller with categories & tags
-- optionally upgrades and converts existing calendars
-- adds color-coded categories and tags
-- adds color-coded aggregation of external Google & iCal calendars, and online event registrations
- adds new 'mega-menu' navigation view with new free-form page/menu type for embedding modules
- adds random sorting/sequence to photo album/slideshows
- adds optional user selectable email destination on form submission
- adds new built-in database manager
- plus many, many other tweaks, fixes, and features

However as always, we recommend you do NOT upgrade production environments without first testing it!

Some changes to the calendar you'll need to be aware of. Though we've not YET removed the old calendar, when you optionally upgrade all your existing calendars to the new event controller, external access to the calendar (cron/ical) has changed slightly:
- Each calendar can now have a unique 'sef' name for easily reference instead of a module number or source. You must enter this in the calendar configuration settings.
- The (cron) reminders feature now uses a security feature and a new address. The details are found on the 'Reminders' tab of the calendar configuration settings.
- While the old ical publish link should still work, the newer one is more intuitive...yoursite.org/event/ical/title/myicalfeedname
- Additionally, some of the view specific settings are not copied over into the upgraded module

If you are upgrading from a version earlier than 2.0.9, you should visit the main blog exponentcms.org/blog.htm to review the articles outlining changes required to themes and custom modules.

v2.1.0 https://github.com/downloads/exponentcms/exponent-cms/exponent-2.1.0.zip

Exponent v2.1.0 Stable is 'THE" baseline for the Exponent CMS project and anyone using a pre-release version of 2.0 is highly recommended to upgrade their code to the stable version.

Comments

• I´m trying to install the new version but doesn´t work!!! I tryed All the stuff even fresh install! :roll:
    All works OK until "page=upgrade-3" in there don´t have any button to next step and when when I see the code its appear cutted. Any clue?
  • If the situation you describe occurs on the 2nd time through the list of upgrade scripts...e.g., you see the list of upgrades with the option to select optional upgrades, then when you click the button, you return to the same page?

The problem MIGHT be the result of having too many rss feeds with the same name on the site (which we are aware of). You might try deleting the '/install/upgrades/update_rssfeeds.php' file and try again. This upgrade is NOT essential to site operation. That script ATTEMPTS to give each rss feed an sef_url (new feature) and also ensure there is an 'expRss' record for each module with 'rss enabled.'
  • Same problem I deleted the rss upgrade and the problem still there. look at the site http://www.tuttianimati.com.br/exponent/ if you see the code its look like cutted. Its a fresh instalation and don´t have any rss. If I reinstall using http://www.tuttianimati.com.br/exponent/install/index.php the process stops in 3rd step. I´m try now delete all the stuff and do a fresh installation, but I can´t do this in other sites who just have the version 2.0.7 installed
  • if you remove the file /install/upgrades/upgrade_navigation.php.orig the upgrades will work...
  • Thanks for the catch!

The file download has been corrected and renamed to https://github.com/downloads/exponentcms/exponent-cms/exponent-2.1.0a.zip!

Have also updated the code so we don't run into this problem in the future.
  • The upgrade problem is fixed, thanks. But after instalation the my site stills the same. Still lose the css and source code lookes like be cutted. Check again http://www.tuttianimati.com.br/exponent/
  • Ok, I'll assume you are using the default theme, simpletheme and NOT a custom theme or one of the other themes no longer shipped w/ exponent (but available as a separate download). Also assuming this is an UPGRADE using existing data? In all our tests we had NO problems, so could you tell us your php version?

It looks like the page breaks when building the new mega menu, which is line #28 in /themes/simpletheme/index.php. Here's a couple things you can try...
    • Turn on Error reporting in /conf/config.php
      define(\"DEVELOPMENT\",'1');
      [/*]
    • After you see what error is being spit out, you could comment out line #28 and uncomment line #27 (the old menu) by changing the 'expTheme...' to //expTheme... and vice versa[/*]
  • Yes, it's a default theme. No, it's a fresh installation. PHP version 5.3, MySQL version 5.1, server linux 64.
    This is the error message:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/storage/e/cd/2e/tuttianimati/public_html/tuttianimati/exponent/external/Smarty-3.1.12/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templateparser.php on line 781
  • Looks like the php 'memory_limit' is set to 32M, where the default now a days is 128M. Likely, the recursion in the new 'mega menu' is to memory intensive for you php install. You might try to:
    • Have your web server's php.ini setting set to memory_limit=128M or something larger than 32M[/*]
    • As mentioned above, comment out the new mega menu and uncomment the YUI Top Nav menu on the line above it in /themes/simpletheme/index.php and the files in the subthemes folder also.[/*]
  • It's working now, thanks. I have now problems with modules in upgrade. File Download Module don't work in a upgrade in 2.0.7 version but works in fresh instalation. The same with photo album, I can't add new photos.
    Can I delete this folders and upload like a fresh install or it's more complex? How I do a fresh install without lose my images and files?
  • I'm sorry, I'm not completely following you. Let me see if I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    • You are currently running a v2.0.7 site and everything is working?[/*]
    • You would like to upgrade the (v2.0.7) site to v2.1.0?[/*]
    • You've attempted an upgrade, but AFTER the upgrade to v2.1.0 completes, the file download and photo album modules do NOT allow you to add items.[/*]
    • If you perform a clean/fresh install of v2.1.0, everything seems to work?[/*]
    Now some more questions
    • Did the upgrade complete cleaning, all the way through to the 'upgrade complete now log on to your site' message?[/*]
    • Or am I incorrect and the problems exist on your 2.0.7 installation?[/*]
    If you would like to perform a 'clean' upgrade BUT save existing files, you must:
    • DO NOT delete the '/files' folder (the actual uploads/files)[/*]
    • DO NOT delete the '/conf/config.php' file (or just keep the entire /conf folder) (most of your basic settings)[/*]
    • DO NOT delete the database (the bulk of your settings and all your site content)[/*]
    • DO NOT delete the current/custom theme folder[/*]
    • You may delete the other folders/files and then extract the v2.1.0 package[/*]
    • Browse to http://www.yoursite.org/install/index.php and it will run you through the upgrade (it is safe to run an upgrade on a site already upgraded)[/*]
    If you have additional questions or problems, please let me know.
  • You've attempted an upgrade, but AFTER the upgrade to v2.1.0 completes, the file download and photo album modules do NOT allow you to add items. YES
    If you perform a clean/fresh install of v2.1.0, everything seems to work? YES
    Now some more questions
    Did the upgrade complete cleaning, all the way through to the 'upgrade complete now log on to your site' message? YES
    Or am I incorrect and the problems exist on your 2.0.7 installation? NO, you are right. The the 2.0.7 installation works perfectelly
    If you would like to perform a 'clean' upgrade BUT save existing files, you must:
    DO NOT delete the '/files' folder (the actual uploads/files)
    DO NOT delete the '/conf/config.php' file (or just keep the entire /conf folder) (most of your basic settings)
    DO NOT delete the database (the bulk of your settings and all your site content)
    DO NOT delete the current/custom theme folder
    You may delete the other folders/files and then extract the v2.1.0 package
    Browse to http://www.yoursite.org/install/index.php and it will run you through the upgrade (it is safe to run an upgrade on a site already upgraded)
    If you have additional questions or problems, please let me know.
    I did this but don´t work. Now I´m trying a really fresh installation (new database, no files) in the same site to test the server. Perhaps the problem isn´t with the exponent, the problem stays in some server configuration.
  • What do you mean by the upgrade didn't work? You SHOULD be able to run the 'upgrade' at any time by going to yoursite.org/install/index.php. It should run through the entire routine (albeit with no tables being changed and fewer upgrade scripts available to run) all the way through to asking to log back on again. In fact this is the primary method to 'upgrade' the database structure, though you can also run the 'Update Tables' menu item.

In many cases, the items will NOT save because the database has NOT be updated and the structure of the table is different from what the system expects.
  • I am having an issue with the form module. After I create a module, click on "Form Settings", I am taken to this link:

/formbuilder/edit_form/id/0/src/@random50f734b3d700a

which returns a SITE_404 error due to the ID being set to "0".

Wandering if anyone else had the error or any knowledge of how it appeared. (Note: did not have this issue in 2.0.9 patch 1 - on the same server/config)
  • This is a known bug on a clean install of 2.1.0. The fix is listed here http://forums.exponentcms.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=755&p=2261&hilit=forms#p2261 in the 5th or next to last post. Basically, the 'exponent_formbuilder_form' table is missing the 'is_saved' field.

This issue is fixed in the pre-release code of the next version (2.1.1) and we may issue a patch eventually which includes this fix. FWIW, the (old school) Forms module will be upgraded to a full 2.0 controller in the next release (already implemented in the pre-release code) which will give us much more flexibility in the future.
  • That makes sense. Thanks for the assist!

Good to hear that more modules are moving to the MVC framework.
  • I found something about my problems with photoalbum module and filemanager module, I simple clean this fields in database: exponent_filedownload,expoent_photo,exponent_expFiles. Probably they have some trash for olders versions. Now I can upload and use photos and files. I hope this information is useful.

Now I'm having other problem in photo album module. When I'm in slideshow mode and choose random option gallery settings this report appear in the browser:
    Notice: Undefined property: photo::$RAND() in /home/storage/e/f8/1c/sinapseinc/public_html/exponent/framework/core/subsystems/expPaginator.php on line 245

Note: I'm not in gallery mode. Please help.
  • We DID change the format/name of photoalbum & filemanager (& faq) a while back, but an upgrade script should've caught that and fixed it?)

I'll check into the $RAND problem, but I wasn't able to reproduce it locally, so it might already be fixed in the next release.